Exaggeration is a statement representing something as better as or worse than it really is.
Exaggeration को हिंदी में अतिश्योक्ति कहते है. जब किसी बात को थोडा बढ़ा-चढ़ाकर पेश किया जाता है तो ऐसी बात को अतिश्योक्ति या Exaggeration कहते है. जैसे;
- धावक वायु के गति से भी तेज दौड़ा और प्रथम आया.
- तुम्हारी सुन्दरता के सामने चन्द्रमा की भी सुन्दरता फीकी पड़ जाती है.
- मैं ही दुनियाभर का बोझ उठा रहा हूँ.
- लगता है की तुमदोनो के बीच का झगडा तृतीय विश्व युद्ध ले आयेगा.
The word ‘Exaggeration’ originates from the Latin Word ‘Exaggerationem’ meaning ‘Exaltation’ or ‘Revelation’. Exaggeration may be of following types:
- Hyperbole (It is an emphatic statement made deliberately to show something better or worse than it is. It is different from Exaggeration as Exaggeration has a wider meaning employed in varied sense.)
- Caricature (It is an exaggerated image of a particular person etc. in society to give some comic effect.)
- Farce (It is a form of Comedy done by exaggerating the situation which is not probable.)
- Slapstick Comedy (This is a kind of Comedy which is made out of joke in an exaggerated manner, such as; ‘I will blow you out in a twinkling of an eye.’ ‘Your addled idea will be shot by a cannon.’
- Ten thousand saw I at a glance. – From The Daffodils by William Wordsworth
- Why man, if the river were dry, I am able to fill it with tears. – Hostpur
- If I could work my will,” said Scrooge indignantly, “Every idiot who goes about with ‘Merry Christmas’ on his lips, should be boiled with his own pudding, and buried with a stake of holly through his heart. He should. – From ‘A Christmas Carol’ by Charles Dickens