Skill India Mission
Word Limit – 255
Skill India is a movement started on July 15, 2015 by Prime Minister Narendra Modi with an aim to train the youth. Established in 2008, National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) has been active in this regard to fulfil the growing need in India for skilled manpower across sectors. It has to reduce the gap between demand and supply of skills in this fastest growing economy. Its Mission is:
- to upgrade skills to international standards through significant industry involvement.
- to develop necessary frameworks for standards, curriculum, and quality assurance.
- boost, support, and coordinate private sectors for Skill Development on PPP (Public-Private Partnership) Model.
- to play the role of a ‘Market-maker’ by generating funds, particularly in sectors where the market mechanism is either ineffective or missing.
- to open multi-skill Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendra (PMKKs) and increase the number of ITIs across the country.
- to prioritize initiatives that can have a multiplier or catalytic effect.
To make the Mission a success, the Government has launched many schemes in this connection and the expenses on training will be borne by the Government itself. Some schemes are as follows:
- Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushal Yojana
- Financial Assistance for Skill Training of Persons with Disabilities
- National Apprenticeship Promotion Scheme
- Craftsmen Training Scheme
- Skill India Mission has trained
Thus, the Skill India Mission is a very fast functioning mission covering almost the entire country to make it skilled and by 2022, it has the target to train more than 40 crore youth.